This White Bean, Arugula & Tomato Salad is a great way to get more beans into your summer menus. If you don’t have the time to make your own beans from scratch, it’s okay to use canned. Just make sure to drain and rinse them well.
If you can find it, buy the small, extra peppery wild arugula for your salad. It will give it an extra kick. You can add many different fresh herbs to this salad. I’ve named a few good candidates for the job so pick your favorite one. I prefer basil here.
1. In a large bowl, whisk the olive oil, salt, and pepper together. Gradually beat in the vinegar until the dressing has emulsified. Taste for sharpness and seasoning. Stir in the chives and herbs.
2. With a wooden spoon, gently fold in the tomatoes and beans. Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes to let the flavors blend.
3. Just before serving, mix in the arugula and serve.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs (dill, tarragon, or basil)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, washed and halved
- 1 (14-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large bunch arugula, washed well and shredded