When people think of pizza without dough, they assume it’s a cauliflower crust. Here, the mushrooms are the crust. An innovative idea, this Basic Portobello Pizza will healthily satisfy your pizza cravings without putting you over your calorie limit for the day. Enjoy these bite size treats with your favorite toppings and herbs!
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. On an aluminum foiled wrapped sheet tray, place the mushrooms stem side up. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt onto each mushroom. Place in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until soft.
3. Take the mushrooms out of the oven and divide the tomato sauce between the mushrooms, and sprinkle 2 ounces of the mozzarella cheese on top. Place toppings on top, if desired.
4. Bake in the oven for another 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
Alex De Los Reyes, Drexel Food Lab
- 2 Portobello mushrooms, cleaned, stems and gills removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- Toppings as desired
- salt to taste