This broccoli carrot hash recipe proves that you don’t need potatoes for a great accompaniment to your breakfast eggs. Paired with eggs, this low carb treat provides a protein packed breakfast that’ll keep you full for the whole morning. Better yet, it uses broccoli stems. The stems are just as nutritious as broccoli florets, in fact they actually contain slightly more calcium, iron, and Vitamin C. Paired with wonderfully sweet carrots, this recipe is a great addition to your breakfast repertoire, so next time you buy broccoli, don’t throw the stems away – make hash!
1. Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat and add olive oil. Add the broccoli, carrots, and garlic to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Stir the vegetables with a wooden spoon and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
2. Heat a nonstick pan over medium low heat and spray with cooking spray. Working in batches if necessary, crack the eggs into the pan and cook the eggs on both sides until desired doneness.
3. Portion the broccoli hash and serve with two eggs.
- 4 broccoli stems, peeled and grated (about 3 cups)
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 eggs ( vegans, see Ann’s Tips)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you are vegan, try pairing this hash with our delicious Tofu Scramble.