These Braised collard greens are 100% vegetarian, but you’d never guess. The smoked paprika gives them a wonderful smoky taste that will fool even the most dedicated carnivore into thinking you cooked them with a ham hock. Trust me, you won’t miss it.
1. Heat the olive oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally until translucent, about 5-8 minutes.
2. Add the collard greens, sprinkle some salt over them, cover and let steam for 5 minutes.
3. Add the paprika, cook or a minute, then add the cider vinegar, and stock. Cover and cook over low heat for 40 minutes or until very tender.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 bunches collard greens, leaves chopped, stems discarded
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cider or white wine vinegar
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you can’t find smoked paprika, you can sub in chipotle powder, or add a small dried chipotle chili in whole with the stock and vinegar. It won’t be as intense a flavor, but it will still add delicious smokiness.