This easy, umami-rich recipe a sure-fire way to get the broccoli haters in your life to eat this amazingly nutritious veggie. Roasting veggies brings out their natural sweetness, and broccoli is no exception. The Parmesan cheese gives it a savory bite.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut about 1-inch off the stalk of the broccoli. Peel the rest of the stem and cut the through the broccoli lengthwise then roughly into wedges, so you have long broccoli spears (see Ann’s Tips).
- Pour the olive oil into a large bowl. Add a little salt and pepper. Add the broccoli spears and toss to coat with olive oil, use your hands. Add the grated cheese and toss again. Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle the broccoli with any remaining cheese left in the bowl.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted the broccoli is turning brown in places. Serve immediately.
- 1 pound broccoli, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese or Pecorino cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Broccoli can come in all shapes and sizes, from relatively slender tufted stems, to sturdy plants that resemble miniature trees. When cutting the veggie into wedges to roast, bear this in mind. To cook evenly, the spears should be thin with only an inch or so of floret at the top, so cut them accordingly.