The cart is empty
Servings: 4 Prep time: 20minutes Total time: 30minutes
Brussels Sprout Pita Pizza
Pita Pizzas are a great standby for quick meals. This yummy no-cheese roasted Brussels sprout vegan pita pizza is one of my favorites and a family crowd pleaser to boot. It combines cruciferous, cancer fighting Brussels Sprouts with a yummy white bean hummus. It’s hard to imagine that something so simple could have so much flavor but trust me, once you bite into the lemony tahini and cannellini bean spread topped with rich roasted Brussels sprouts and tangy red onion, you’ll become a believer. This pita pizza is definitely one to try.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, mix the shredded Brussel sprouts and red onion with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. When the vegetables are lightly coated with oil, tip onto the prepared baking sheet, and spread out into a single, even layer. Do not crowd. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Roast for about 10 minutes, or until the Brussel sprouts are soft and lightly browned.
4. Meanwhile in bowl of a food processor, puree cannellini beans, tahini, cumin, lemon juice, and zest. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Place pita on a baking sheet and warm slightly in oven. Remove and spread a portion of the bean spread onto each pita and top with a portion of the shredded Brussel sprouts. Drizzle with any remaining olive oil.
6. Cut each pita into four slices and serve.
Julianne Scott, Drexel Food Lab
Ann's Tips and Tricks
This recipe uses tahini, which is made of roasted sesame seeds. Although not a tree nut, some of us with nut allergies can have a reaction to sesame. If in doubt, use 3 tablespoons of sunflower seed butter mixed with 1 tablespoon of olive oil instead.