Tahini is a wonderful addition to dressings for vegetable salads. It’s made with toasted sesame seeds bringing iron, healthy fats and fiber to the table. This Carrot Salad with Tahini Dressing is a tasty case in point. It whisks lemon and sweet roasted garlic into olive oil and tahini to make a perfect dressing to dress up humble yet nutrient packed carrots. Add raisins for a little sweetness with and you’re in for a taste treat that’s also great for your health.
- In a large bowl, whisk tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons water and roasted garlic to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add carrots, raisins and sesame seeds to dressing. Season with salt and pepper and toss until vegetables are coated with dressing.
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours before serving.
Ally Zeitz, Drexel Food Lab
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped roasted garlic
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you suffer from tree nut allergies, consider substituting sunflower seed butter for the tahini. Sesame, although not a tree nut, can affect those with tree nut allergies.
Squeeze out the insides of the roasted garlic cloves to chop them. You can roast a whole head of garlic and keep the peeled, or rather squeezed out cloves under oil in the fridge in a clean non-reactive jar or container.