This cauliflower gratin is a low carb, gluten free veggie delight. It is a version of the classic British nursery dish Cauliflower Cheese. It is light, easy to make, certainly deliciously cheesy and soothing enough for jaded chemo palates. It makes for a great light supper on it’s own or a perfect low carb side for grilled chicken. Try it!
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Take a gratin or other shallow dish just big enough to hold the cauliflower in one layer. Grease and set aside.
- Steam the cauliflower: Pack the cauliflower florets tightly into a pan in one layer – stem sides down. Add about 1 inch of water or enough to cover the stems but not the heads. Sprinkle with salt and bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave to steam.
- Meanwhile sauté the shallots until just colored and sprinkle over the bottom of the gratin dish. Set aside.
- Meanwhile add the ricotta, milk, grated Parmesan, and a pinch of salt into a blender. Grate nutmeg over the top. Pulse until well blended and with the consistency of heavy cream. Taste for salt. Set aside.
- Drain the cauliflower and pat dry if needed. Arrange in the prepared gratin dish, stems down and heads up. Pour the ricotta mixture over the cauliflower letting it sink between the florets. Sprinkle the cauliflower with half the cheddar cheese, then half the breadcrumbs. Repeat. Bake on a mid to high shelf for about 20-25 minutes or until the ricotta is bubbling and the cheese and breadcrumbs golden brown. Let the gratin sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, broken into 1” florets
- 2 shallots thinly sliced ( see Ann’s Tips)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of ricotta cheese
- 1 cup of whole or 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup gluten free or whole wheat breadcrumbs, divided
- salt to taste
- Butter for greasing
Ann's Tips and Tricks
You can use frozen cauliflower florets for this. Thaw and drain them on paper towel before putting into the gratin dish. If you are on a Bland diet omit the sautéed shallots.