This very pink dish is a great cooked salad for those on chemo. I love cooked red cabbage. It is most often slow cooked with apples and onions, but this warm salad is deliciously combined with pears and walnuts, and offers a super quick way to get a red cabbage fix in minutes instead of hours.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a wide skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering add the shallots. Cook until they are turning golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt and a grinding of fresh black pepper. Cook, stirring continuously for about 3 minutes, or until it just begins to wilt and soften. Add the pears and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat.
- In a serving bowl, whisk together the remaining olive oil and the cider vinegar. Pour the cabbage mixture and walnuts into the bowl, and toss to coat well. Dot with pieces of fresh goat cheese. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ head of purple cabbage, sliced thin, about 4 cups
- 2 medium bosc pears, cut into a julienne
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup fresh goat cheese
Ann's Tips and Tricks
To cut pears into a julienne: trim off the stem ends cut them in half, then scoop the seeds out with a teaspoon. Place the pears cut side down onto a board and thinly slice first lengthwise and then across.