I love rosemary with all kinds of savory foods. It was a real surprise for me to find out what a great affinity rosemary and apples have for each other as demonstrated in this Rosemary Apple Cake recipe. I discovered it making a rather complicated Italian cake recipe for a friend’s dinner. Our simplified version is not only very easy to make, it’s very easy to eat too.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9 x 5 x 4-inch loaf pan. Set aside.
2. Slice the apples very thin. Set aside.
3.In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and dried rosemary.
4.In a separate large bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla, and lemon zest. Mix well. Stir in the flour mixture with a wooden spoon, just until combined.
5.Fold the apples into the batter, until the slices are well coated. There will be a lot less batter than apples.
6.Pour the apple and batter mixture into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the top is well browned and the cake is cooked through.
7.Let the cake cool in the loaf pan for 15 minutes, then turn it out onto a cooling rack to cool for at least 30 minutes. Slice to serve.
- 3 large apples, peeled and cored
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped dried rosemary
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup cane sugar
- 6 tablespoons (3 ounces) of butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you prefer the cake to be sweeter, make this cake with a sweet apple like Gala or Fuji.
Please remember to always eat sweet things in moderation. A little bit of dessert or cake will go a long way. Don’t overdo it.