Meatloaf is the perfect meal when you need something warm and comforting, or if you’re not feeling your best. In his updated version we use ground chicken instead of beef, and add in quite a lot of cancer-fighting vegetables. They make it taste good, and look pretty when sliced. This Chicken Meatloaf is also great eaten cold in a sandwich the next day!
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly butter a small gratin dish or loaf tin, set aside.
2. Heat the oil over a medium-high heat. When it is hot, add the thyme, onion, carrots and leeks and cook, stirring, until they start to soften. Turn the heat down to medium-low, cover and sweat the vegetables for until they are soft, about 10 minutes. Do not let them burn!
3. Add the garlic and parsley, turn the heat back up and sauté for a couple of minutes. Add the chopped tomato, if using. Cook for another 5 minutes, turn off heat and set aside.
4. Beat the egg, 2½ tablespoons of the Worcestershire sauce and the Thai chili sauce together. Add salt and pepper.
5. In a large bowl combine ground chicken with the vegetables and mix with a spatula. Add the beaten egg mixture and combine. Gradually add in the breadcrumbs and mix well.
6. Turn the mixture into the gratin dish and smooth the top. Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes, then gently spread a tablespoon of tomato sauce over the top of the meatloaf and sprinkle the rest of Worcester sauce over it. Return to the oven and finish cooking for 15 to 20 minutes. The loaf should be well browned, firm to the touch and drawn away slightly from the sides of the dish. Serve with the remaining tomato sauce and either mashed potatoes or pasta, such as macaroni or orzo.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, leaves stripped
- ½ an onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 small leek or 2 scallions, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tomato, finely diced (optional)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ⅓ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce to taste (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound ground organic chicken
- 1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs, soaked in a little milk or stock
- 1 cup marinara sauce or Quick Tomato Sauce, heated through