This easy Chicken & Spinach Enchiladas recipe is a great way to use up leftover roast, poached chicken, or greens to make a quick and tasty lunch that packs in a lot of goodness. You can find rotisserie chicken in most supermarkets for this if you do not have any leftovers. It also shows you a great way to speedily transform our Quick Tomato Sauce from a pasta classic into a topping not only for enchiladas, but for quesadillas, too. If you want your sauce to have the chipotle taste but with less spiciness, scrape the seeds out of the chipotles before chopping them. We love Rudi’s Organic Bakery 7 Grain with Flax Tortillas or Rudi’s Gluten-Free Bakery Plain Tortillas.
- Heat the Quick Tomato Sauce in a small saucepan or deep skillet with the chipotle peppers. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and puree. Return to the heat and simmer.
- Meanwhile, heat some of the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened and beginning to brown. Stir in the spinach and salt. Cook just until wilted, for about 2-3 minutes. Turn off the heat and remove half of the spinach mixture.
- Puree half of the spinach mixture with avocado, yogurt and cilantro until smooth. Add this puree back into the pan with the remaining spinach. Stir in the shredded chicken and ½ cup of the cheese. Taste for salt.
- Preheat the broiler. Lightly grease a casserole or large baking pan with the remaining oil.
- Fill the center of each tortilla with the chicken and spinach mixture, roll them up and place them in the baking pan, seam side down. Ladle the warm chipotle tomato sauce over, and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the enchiladas.
- Broil for about 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is melted and browned. Serve immediately with a garnish of cilantro leave and extra sauce.
- 1 recipe Quick Tomato Sauce
- ¼ to ½ cup chipotle in adobo, chipotle chopped (depending on desired spiciness)
- 3 tablespoons canola or grape seed oil, divided
- 1 medium red onion, quartered and sliced
- 8 cups loosely packed spinach, stems removed and washed well
- Salt, to taste
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and pitted
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 4 cilantro sprigs, set aside leaves for garnish
- 12 ounces chicken breast, roasted or boiled then shredded into pieces
- 1 cup grated sharp white cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 4 (8 inch) whole wheat tortillas or corn tortillas, slightly warmed