This Creamy Mushroom Lasagna is rich comfort food, and a great dish to make for friends and family. It’s the blend of rich balsamic mushrooms and creamy béchamel that make this lasagna such a sophisticated treat. A simple green salad and some fresh or poached fruit for dessert are all you need to complete the meal.
2. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add in the lasagna noodles and cook just until tender but still firm. They will continue to cook as you bake the lasagna. Drain the pasta.
3. Spread about ¼ cup of béchamel sauce evenly over the bottom of the dish. Lay a single layer of noodles to cover the sauce. Spread on half of the mushrooms and cover with noodles. Spread 1 cup of the béchamel sauce and half of the Parmesan. Cover with another layer of lasagna noodles. Layer the remaining mushrooms, cover with another layer of lasagna and spread the remaining béchamel on top. Sprinkle with the remaining grated cheeses and breadcrumbs.
4. Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Then uncover and bake for another 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Serve.
- 8 ounces of whole wheat lasagna
- ½ cup Breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
For the Balsamic Sautéed Mushrooms:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves stripped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds portabella mushrooms, caps wiped with a damp cloth and cut into ½-inch cubes
- Sea salt, to taste
- ¼ cup Saba mosto cotto
For the Bechamel Sauce:
- 12 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups warm milk, or stock
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan (optional)
- Pepper, to taste
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Barilla sells pre-cooked lasagna sheets. They’re not whole wheat, but they are a time saver.