When asparagus is in season, this creamy asparagus chicken sandwich makes for a delicious lunch or dinner. Steamed asparagus is pureed and stirred into creamy ricotta to create a pretty, very tasty pale green dressing for the chicken that’s perfect for the season. And with half the calories it’s so much better for us than mayo too. Eat the filling without the baguette for a stand-alone chicken salad. Enjoy!
1. In a large saucepan, cover asparagus stems with water. Bring to a boil and cook until stems are very tender, about 10-15 min.
2. In a blender, combine asparagus stems with ½ cup cooking water. Puree until smooth. If needed add more cooking water to puree. Season with salt and pepper. Mix in Parmesan cheese and ricotta.
3. In a medium sauté pan over medium heat, add olive oil and chicken. Cook through, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Chop chicken into small cubes. In a medium bowl, combine chicken with celery and asparagus-ricotta puree.
5. Divide the spinach between each sandwich and top with the asparagus chicken salad.
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you are on a bland diet, you may want to do the following things:
1. Poach the chicken breasts in a little broth instead of sautéing in oil
2. Use white flour baguette to build your sandwich
3. Wilt the spinach. You will need about 2 cups if you do this, as it will shrink mightily. It’s very easy: Just pour boiling water over the baby spinach, then gently squeeze out any excess water with paper towels.
Be the first to leave a review.