This recipe for this decadent Flourless Chocoholic Cake was first given to me by my friend Jane Fordyce. Although I didn’t believe her at first, it is super easy to make. It results in a rich, spectacularly chocolatey dessert that’s perfect for any special occasion, and amazingly, gluten free as well. Enjoy!
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
2. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler until smooth (see Ann’s Tip). Add the softened butter and stir in until smooth.
3. While the chocolate is melting, in a medium bowl beat ½ cup of the sugar to the egg yolks and beat until pale yellow. Set aside.
4. In a separate bowl beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Add the remaining sugar and beat until they are stiff and shiny. Set aside.
5. Gradually add the melted chocolate mixture to the egg yolks, beating constantly, until they are well blended. Take a spoonful of the egg whites and fold them into the chocolate mix to break the mixture up. Pile the rest of the egg whites onto the chocolate and gently fold them into the chocolate until you have a streaky batter.
6. Pour into a well-buttered 8-inch spring-form pan and bake in the middle of the oven for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a rack. The cake will be very puffy when it comes out of the oven, but will subside and flatten as it cools. Unmold, and sprinkle with a little confectioners sugar before serving.
For more delicious chocolate desert ideas check out our Chocolate Recipes Slideshow.
Be the first to leave a review.