Every Jewish Grandma makes her own version of kugel. Our recipe maven Mariko’s Grandma Ricky is no exception. Full of eggs, and filled with raisins, her kugel makes for a very rich and very delicious treat for cancer patients or survivors during the High Holidays.
This yummy treat is easy to cook, perfect for when treatment has left you feeling fatigued. It is also suitable for patients on a nutropenic diet.
1. Boil the noodles in salted water until al dente. Drain and toss with butter. Let cool slightly.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and generously grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with butter.
3. In a bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, cottage cheese, sugar, and cinnamon until well blended. Mix in the buttered noodles and raisins.
4. Pour the noodle mixture into the prepared baking pan and let sit for 15 minutes. Bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes or until set. Cut into square and serve warm or at room temperature.
For more festive deserts, check out our Naughty but Nice Holiday treats!
- 1-pound wide egg noodles
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 8 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup cottage cheese, or mascarpone
- ¼ cup cane sugar plus 2 tablespoons for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon, plus 1 teaspoon for sprinkling
- 1 ½ cup Thompson raisins
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Sweets like this, delicious though they are, should always be eaten in moderation. No matter how much Grandma insists of your having another piece, remember that it will never taste better than that first bite. A little goes a long way.