This recipe makes a fabulous moist dairy-free (unless you ice it) carrot cake or muffins. You can make these a day in advance and don’t worry if the cake or muffins come out slightly undercooked.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line 18 muffin tins
- In a medium bowl sift together the whole wheat pastry flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy. Slowly add in the oil, beating continuously.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture, just until absorbed. Then fold in the ground almonds, carrots, raisins and walnuts.
- Pour into prepared muffin tins. Bake in the center of the oven until a skewer comes out clean, about 15 to 20 minutes for muffins.
- Gradually sift the sugar, beating continuously to avoid lumps. Add the lemon zest and juice, to taste, and beat until smooth. If the icing seems a little too soft or thin to spread, chill before using to stiffen. Ice on top of the cupcakes as desired.
- 1 cup (8 ounces) whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 heaping teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⅓ cup sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 1 large carrot, grated
- ⅓ cup (3 ounces) golden raisins
- ⅓ cup (3 ounces) chopped walnuts
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- ⅓ cup (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup confectioners sugar, or to taste
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon