Quesadillas are a quick and healthy lunch stand-by in my house. This goat cheese & Chard quesadilla is a quick, tasty vegetarian treat. It stars goat cheese combined with garlicky chard and sweet sun dried tomatoes. Yummy! Any type of leafy green, like kale or spinach, would be delicious in this quesadilla too.
1. In a medium bowl, cover sun-dried tomatoes with boiling water and let sit for 15 minutes. Drain and then roughly chop. Set aside.
2. Strip the leaves off the chard stems and roughly chop. Thinly slice the stems and keep separate,
3. Heat some of the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for 3 minutes until it turns golden. Remove garlic and discard. Add chard stems and cook for 2 minutes or until they begin to soften. Add chard leaves and salt stirring until they wilt, for about 3-5 minutes. Remove from pan and let any excess liquid drain.
4. Wipe the pan clean and add half the canola oil. Add the tortilla and move around the bottom of the pan to make sure the tortilla is coated in oil. Layer half the chard onto the tortilla and scatter half the sun-dried tomatoes and half of the goat cheese. Top with another tortilla. When the bottom is browned, flip and continue to cook for about 3 minutes on each side. Repeat for the second quesadilla. Serve.
For more recipes with leafy greens, watch our 20 Recipes to Get More Leafy Greens Slideshow!
- 2 to 4 pieces sun-dried tomato
- 1½ cups chard, washed well
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, smashed and left whole
- 1 teaspoon canola or grape seed oil, divided
- 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas (We love Rudi’s Gluten-Free Bakery Plain Tortillas)
- 4 tablespoons goat cheese
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Although you don’t need to make quesadillas with Mexican ingredients, for a touch of ¡Olé! sprinkle with a little chopped cilantro or a pinch of chipotle powder!