Oily fish like herring are often served with potatoes and cream. This lighter version of the classic dish packs in more vegetables to up the nutrition ante. Herring are so good for us. Rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D, zinc, and so many more nutrients, herring are a super food for the whole body especially our brains and hearts. This simple recipe is perfect for a weeknight dinner. Delicious new potatoes, carrots, and broccoli are tossed with butter, soy sauce, dill, and scallions for the perfect combination of sweet, salty, and flavorful. You’ll make this super easy healthy meal night after night. Enjoy!
- In a medium saucepan, combine potatoes, salt, and water to cover. Bring to boil over high heat and reduce to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add carrots and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
- Add broccoli and simmer an additional 3-5 minutes until all ingredients are tender. Drain.
- In large mixing bowl, toss simmered vegetables with butter, soy sauce, scallions, and dill.
- Top with herring to serve.
Ally Zeitz, Drexel Food Lab
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Herring is available canned or jarred at any market. Plain herring are best for this. This recipe can also be made with water packed sardines.
Be the first to leave a review.