These Honey Walnut Cookies are simple but full of flavor, and they come together in no time. The dough freezes well making them perfect for an easy holiday dessert.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla, until creamy.
- Add the flour and, with a pastry blender or 2 knives, combine the mixture until crumbly. Stir in the walnuts.
- Add the yogurt. Mix with your fingertips until a dough is formed.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until well blended, about 1 minute.
- Wrap the dough in waxed paper or plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Tear off small chunks of dough and roll between your hands to form 1½-inch balls. Place them on the prepared baking sheets and flatten with the back of a fork. This recipe makes 32 cookies
- Brush the cookies generously with honey and bake for 15 minutes or until pale golden.
- Cool the cookies on a wire rack, and brush with extra honey. Serve.
- 1 cup softened butter
- ½ cup cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2½ cups all-purpose, or whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1½ cups finely chopped walnuts
- ⅓ cup plain yogurt
- ½ cup orange blossom or buckwheat honey
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Eat all sweet, sugary treats in moderation. A little bit of sweetness can make you feel good, but don’t overdo it! High calorie desserts are best as a treat, never a habit. A serving here counts as two cookies.