A granita is a coarse sorbet that is easily made without an ice cream machine. This Mango Granita is a simply great way to use fresh ripe mangoes. Adding a bit of lemon juice brightens the taste of the mango for a wonderful treat.
1. Remove the pit from the mango by cutting down each side of it through the stem end. Scoop out the flesh and put it into the blender. Trim any good mango from around the pit and add it to the rest. Add the sugar and lemon juice.
2. Blend all the ingredients together and pour into a glass or Pyrex bowl. Put into the freezer.
3. Check the bowl every 20 minutes or so to scrape the ice crystals off the sides of the bowl until you end up with a fluffy snowy consistency.
- 4 Champagne mangoes or 2 Tommy Atkin mangoes
- ¼ cup fine brown sugar (Florida Crystals), or to taste
- Juice of ½ a lemon
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Tommy Atkins mangoes are the large green mangoes with a red blush. They are the most commonly sold mango.
Champagne mangoes are about 1/2 the size of a Tommy Atkins, and are a golden yellow color. These mangoes are super sweet and delicious. They start to appear in stores mid to late summer. If you find them, buy them.
If you have frozen mango slices in your freezer, you can get a similar result by processing them from frozen with the sugar and lemon juice + 1/2 cup of water. Try it!