Rutabaga deserves to be better appreciated. It’s good for us, and there’s something about its taste that I just love. The sage-and-garlic steeped milk makes this easy Mashed Rutabaga simply delicious.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the rutabaga and boil for about 15 minutes or until the pieces are fork tender. Drain the rutabaga and return it to the pot.
- While the rutabaga is boiling, in a small saucepan, combine the milk with sage, bay leaves, and garlic. Bring to a simmer and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, turn off heat. Let stand until rutabaga is cooked and drained.
- Remove sage, bay leaves and garlic from the milk. Add the milk to the drained rutabaga. Mash with a potato masher or with an electric mixture until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and chopped (about 1.5 lbs)
- ½ cup milk
- 2 sprigs sage
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil