Rutabaga deserves to be better appreciated. It’s good for us, and there’s something about its taste that I just love. The sage-and-garlic steeped milk makes this easy Mashed Rutabaga simply delicious.
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the rutabaga and boil for about 15 minutes or until the pieces are fork tender. Drain the rutabaga and return it to the pot.
2. While the rutabaga is boiling, in a small saucepan, combine the milk with sage, bay leaves, and garlic. Bring to a simmer and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, turn off heat. Let stand until rutabaga is cooked and drained.
3. Remove sage, bay leaves and garlic from the milk. Add the milk to the drained rutabaga. Mash with a potato masher or with an electric mixture until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and chopped (about 1.5 lbs)
- ½ cup milk
- 2 sprigs sage
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil