These Simple Baked Apples are always a good, quick way to make a healthy dessert that anyone can enjoy, hot or cold. All you need are some tart-sweet apples, like Granny Smiths, Braeburns, or Pink Ladies, and an oven. Try to buy small apples and allow one per person. Eat any leftovers for breakfast with yogurt.
Click Here to Watch the Video Tutorial
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Dry roast the sliced almonds in a heavy pan just until they begin to color. Set aside in a bowl.
3. With a sharp knife, cut a slit in the skin all the way around the waist of each cored apple. This will allow them to expand as they cook.
4. Place the apples in a baking dish just big enough to hold them. Stuff them with the dried fruit. Drizzle them with the maple syrup making sure that it gets into the hollowed out core, and then put a nut of butter on top of each one. Add the water to the bottom of the dish.
5. Bake in the center of the oven for 30-40 minutes or until the apples are puffed up, soft, and caramelized on top. Let them cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. The apples will collapse as they cool.
6. Serve sprinkled with the toasted almonds and with thick yogurt or ice cream on the side.
Ann's Tips and Tricks
I don’t believe in substitutions in desserts. I’d rather eat less of something really good. It’s a little bit of what you fancy that does you good, not a lot.
Be the first to leave a review.