I love the meatiness of mushrooms! When I was a kid, ‘mushrooms on toast’ was a favorite teatime treat. This quick Mushroom & Egg Toast recipe turns my old favorite into a great breakfast or a satisfying quick lunch (and tea if you’re a Brit). So easy and so very good!
1. In a wide skillet with a tight fitting lid, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 3 minutes or until fragrant and beginning to turn golden.
2. Add the mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, chopped oregano and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Uncover and stir, and cook for another 2 minutes. Taste for seasoning. Turn off the heat and let sit until ready to serve.
3. Evenly spread 1 tablespoon of goat or cream cheese on each of the pieces of toast. Top with the mushroom mixture, then a soft boiled egg. Serve immediately.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 cups diced portabella mushrooms
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 slices of whole grain bread, toasted (use white bread if on bland, low-fiber diets)
- ¼ cup soft goat or cream cheese, divided
- 4 soft boiled eggs
Ann's Tips and Tricks
For a tasty touch of England, add a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce to the mushrooms along with the other ingredients
If you can’t find Portabellas, quarter some Baby Bellas, Crimini or button mushrooms.