This Kale & Mushroom Breakfast Sandwich is another delicious breakfast sandwich to get you out of a breakfast rut. It’s quick to make and packed with nutrients to start your day off right and completely satisfied. This is also great without the bread so don’t skip out on this recipe if you are limiting bread, grains, or gluten. Just use the yogurt sauce as a topper.
1. In a small bowl, mix together yogurt and sriracha.
2. Heat a sauté pan on medium heat. Add olive oil. Once hot, add the mushrooms and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until they start to turn golden brown. Add the kale along with about ¼ cup water. Cook until the kale is wilted and the water has mostly evaporated. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat a greased non-stick pan on medium low heat. Crack and pour eggs into the pan. Cook until whites are set, flip and cook for 1 minute for a runny yolk, 3 minutes for a fully cooked yolk. Turn off the heat and let sit while assembling sandwich.
4. Place 2 slices of bread on 2 plates. Spread an even layer of the yogurt sauce over the toast. Top with a portion of kale, mushrooms and egg. Top with other slice of bread. Cut the sandwich down the middle and serve.
Ally Zeitz, Drexel Food Lab
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 6 leaves kale, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 4 slices whole wheat bread, toasted