If you are on chemo, a great way to eat fresh, seasonal fruit is to make compote with it. The microwave makes this a quick and easy to do. Our Strawberry Rhubarb compote is a good way to use up strawberries that aren’t quite perfect or frozen strawberries. If you use frozen strawberries, cook them for 1 minute or so longer than fresh. Eat the compote on its own with some yogurt or with a couple of freshly baked Oatmeal Date Cookies.
1. Place the rhubarb, maple syrup and water in a ceramic or Pyrex bowl. Cover with a ceramic plate and cook in the microwave on high for 2 minutes.
2. Remove and uncover carefully, there will be steam. Stir in the strawberries and cover with the plate again and return to the microwave. Cook on high heat for 2 more minutes, 3 minutes if using frozen strawberries.
3. Remove from the microwave, uncover very carefully and stir well. Cover with the plate again and cook on high for 1 more minute. Let sit in the microwave to steam for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve warm or chilled. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- 2 cups of rhubarb, topped, tailed and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups of strawberries, washed and hulled