Chef Naxielly Dominguez created these easy to make cookies for one of our programs for Latina breast cancer survivors. We needed a sweet treat that was healthy and dairy free. These Oatmeal & Date Cookies are it. You can get these delicious cookies together from start to finish in 30 minutes. Why would you ever buy store bought?
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Cover 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, oats, shredded coconut, baking soda and chopped walnuts. Make a well in the center. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat together the coconut oil, sugar, egg, vanilla and salt using a hand whisk. When it is well blended, pour into the well in the flour mixture and mix well with a spatula. Fold in the chopped dates.
- Using 1 tablespoon of dough for each cookie, spoon the dough 2 inches apart onto the prepared sheets. Bake in the center of the oven for 10-12 minutes or until they are lightly browned.
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1¼ cup quick-cooking oats
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¾ tablespoons baking soda
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped dates
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Coconut oil is solid when you buy it. Stand the jar in a bowl of hot water to melt enough for the recipe.
Eat all sweet, sugary treats in moderation. A little bit of what you fancy does you good, but don’t overdo it – a serving is 2 cookies!