This Pesto Veggie ‘Pasta’ recipe is great for people who need to eat more vegetables and less starch. With cheese, pesto, pine nuts, and squash, it incorporates almost every food group into a single dish. Try making your own pesto sauce to get the flavor and consistency you like best. And making your own is a healthier and more delicious option as well!
1. Season noodle-like strips of squash and zucchini with a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. In a sauté pan on low heat, warm the pesto. Add water and stir to create a sauce, turning the heat up to medium.
3. Add squash and zucchini to pesto sauce and cook for an additional minute to allow the vegetables to soften.
4. Season with additional salt and pepper as needed and serve warm or chilled. Garnish with pine nuts and cheese.
Emily Lloyd, Drexel Food Lab
- 1 yellow squash, cut into noodle like slices, using a vegetable peeler or Vegetti
- 1 zucchini, cut into noodle like slices, using a vegetable peeler or Vegetti
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 1/3 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese