This Southwestern Chicken Casserole is a perfect choice to take to someone who’s not up to cooking. It’s a one-dish chili that’s not only a quick, tasty dinner to satisfy the pickiest chemo plate, but serve it with a salad of crunchy greens and it’s a nutritious crowd pleaser for the whole family.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly oil a 9×13 casserole dish.
2. In a medium saucepan bring the rice and water to a boil. Cover then reduce to a simmer. Cook until water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside in a bowl.
3. Place the sliced chicken breasts in a bowl and season with the salt and spices, mixing and rubbing it in with your fingers.
4. In a large sauté pan, heat enough oil to coat the pan. Brown the chicken then add in the peppers and onions. Cook until the vegetables are tender, approximately 5 minutes. Add the tomato and black beans. Heat through.
5. Layer the casserole dish with half the rice. Add the meat and vegetable mixture, followed by the remaining rice. Top with shredded cheese and bake 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned.
Be the first to leave a review.