I learned to love veggies dressed with sesame when traveling in Japan. Sesame adds a nutty creaminess to them. This steamed broccoli with sesame remoulade is a versatile recipe for simply steamed broccoli. It is delicious either eaten warm or at room temperature.
1. Cut and discard the lower third of the broccoli stem. Cut off the broccoli florets and break into 1-inch pieces. Peel the remaining stem and cut into ½-inch pieces.
2. In a medium stockpot with a lid, place a steamer over, but not touching, boiling water. Put the sliced broccoli stems into the steam, cover and steam for 1-2 minutes. Add the florets, sprinkle with salt, and re-cover. Steam a further 3-4 minutes or until the broccoli florets are bright green and are tender, but still crisp.
3. While the broccoli is steaming make the Sesame Remoulade
4. Drain the broccoli in a colander, plunge into cold water if eating cold. Drain well and pat dry with paper towels. Transfer to a serving dish, drizzle with sesame remoulade sauce and toasted sesame.
- 1 small head of broccoli, rinsed
- 1 recipe Sesame Remoulade
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Make sure you buy really fresh green broccoli for this – there should be no yellow in the florets.Sesame Remoulade will keep in the fridge for a week.