I love a diner breakfast, eggs every which way and home fried potatoes. These Sweet potato home fries bring the sweetness and extra nutrients from sweet potatoes to the breakfast table in this toothsome twist to the classic. Sweet potatoes are packed with vitamins A and C, and are simply delicious. What’s not to like about this homey dish? Not a thing!
1. In a medium stockpot, cover the cubed sweet potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Cook just until tender, about 5 minutes of boiling. Drain. See Ann’s Tips for a microwave method.
2. Meanwhile, in a wide skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the onions have softened and caramelized. Remove the onions from the pan and set aside.
3. In the same skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the drained sweet potatoes, salt, pepper, and paprika or rosemary and cook without stirring for 5 minutes. When browned, turn the potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes or until well browned.
4. Add the caramelized onion, stir and cook for another 3 minutes. Serve with Scrambled Eggs.
- 1½ pounds sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into ½-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Paprika or chopped fresh rosemary (optional)
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you are as big a fan of sweet potatoes as I am, boil or bake up two or three potatoes and keep them in the fridge or freezer to transform into dishes like this one.