This Winter Pumpkin Pasta Bake is true comfort food. It combines a favorite winter vegetable with the notion of mac ‘n cheese. How yum is that? Better yet, it is so easy to make, it requires very little effort, a boon if you’re fatigued from cancer treatment.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook the pasta until al dente according to the box instructions. Once cooked, drain and place back in pot. Toss with olive oil.
3. In a large bowl mix together the pumpkin puree, milk, gruyere cheese, nutmeg, allspice, and salt. Fold in the pasta until everything is combined
4. Pour the pasta mixture into a greased baking dish. Top with parmesan cheese and bake for about 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the middle is warm.
- 1 pound whole wheat penne pasta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ parmesan cheese, grated
Ann's Tips and Tricks
For a crunchy top, sneak ¼ cup from the 3 cups of gruyere and mix the parmesan plus ½ cup fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs.