Spicy Indian-Style Chicken Burgers
These are really a healthy and delicious chicken version of kofta, the ubiquitous Indian and Middle Eastern version of meatballs. Adding dark turkey meat gives these burgers an extra depth. If you’re outside grilling, shape the mixture into patties to make healthy exotic tasting burgers, or you can roll it into little meatballs to broil or sauté for a party appetizer or to eat with pasta. It’s all good and all good for you.
- 1 large egg
- 2-3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley, plus more for ganish
- ½ spicy red pepper pod (cayenne or Thai bird), or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ pound ground chicken
- ½ pound ground turkey, preferably dark meat
- ⅓ cup Breadcrumbs
1. Beat the egg, yogurt, parsley, red pepper, coriander, ginger, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl. Add the ground chicken and turkey and mix well together. Add the breadcrumbs and mix until well combined. Shape the mixture into roughly 8 balls slightly flattened into a thick patty.
2. Grill on a barbeque or on a ridged iron grill pan until firm, about 5 minutes each side depending on thickness of the patty. When cooked, they should be firm to the touch with no ‘bounce’.
3. Serve in toasted buns with lettuce or wilted spinach and a side of Sweet Potato Salad. We love Rudi's Organic Bakery 100% Whole Wheat Bun.
Taste test the chili first to make sure that you’re comfortable with the heat you’re adding to your burgers. Cut a tiny piece off and see just how hot it really is. A mouthful of milk will take the heat away. Make sure not to add any of the seeds or the white pith from the inside of the pepper, that’s where they store most of their heat. If you cant find fresh red chilies, add ½ teaspoon of cayenne or to taste.
If you are going through chemo and want to have some greens with your burger, instead of lettuce and tomatoes, garnish it with a some wilted spinach, and perhaps a slice or two of roasted red peppers.