Canned artichokes are a staple in my house, not the glamorous jars of pickled artichoke antipasti sott’olio, but more the prosaic cans of artichoke hearts. They can be used in so many different ways, in risottos, pastas, in side dishes or in a salad, like here, in this Arugula Salad with Artichokes, Olives & Feta. Letting the artichoke hearts macerate in the dressing with olives and tomatoes makes them sweetly delicious and a perfect complement to the crisp arugula and salty feta that they will be tossed together with. Totally delicioso.
1. In the bottom of a large bowl, mix the Basic Vinaigrette with the artichokes, olives, and tomatoes. Pile the arugula and feta cheese on top and set aside until you are ready to eat.
2. Just before serving, toss everything together to combine.
- 1 recipe Basic Vinaigrette
- ½ cup sliced canned artichokes, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup quartered pitted green or Kalmata olives
- ½ cup quartered cherry or grape tomatoes
- 4 cups arugula
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese ( Vegan? See Ann’s Tips)
Ann's Tips and Tricks
When you make the Basic Vinaigrette dressing for this salad, don’t add any salt, even though the recipe asks for it. The olives will add their saltiness to the dressing as the salad sits, and once all the ingredients are tossed together just before eating, the feta will add a little more.
Vtopia makes some really good vegan cheese substitutes including feta, that are excellent for salads like these.