Canned artichokes are such a great pantry staple. Not the glamorous jars of pickled artichoke antipasti “sott’olio,” but more the ordinary-looking cans of artichoke hearts. They can be used in so many different ways, like in risottos, pastas, in side dishes or in a salad, like this salad. Letting the artichoke hearts macerate in the dressing with olives and tomatoes makes them sweetly delicious and a perfect complement to the crisp arugula and salty feta.
- In the bottom of a large bowl, mix the Basic Vinaigrette with the artichokes, olives, and tomatoes. Pile the arugula and feta cheese on top and set aside until you are ready to eat.
- Just before serving, toss everything together to combine.
- 1 recipe Basic Vinaigrette
- ½ cup sliced canned artichokes, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup quartered pitted green or Kalamata olives
- ½ cup quartered cherry or grape tomatoes
- 4 cups arugula
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese (See Ann’s Tips)
Ann's Tips and Tricks
When you make the Basic Vinaigrette dressing for this salad, don’t add any salt, even though the recipe asks for it. The olives will add their saltiness to the dressing as the salad sits, and once all the ingredients are tossed together just before eating, the feta will add a little more.
Vtopia makes some really good vegan cheese substitutes including feta, that are excellent for salads like these.