This crunchy, sweet celery & apple salad uses deliciously creamy Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise as its base. It will tempt even the most tired taste buds. For all its richness, Greek yogurt slashes away at the calories compared to mayo. The calories in the ½ cup of Greek yogurt we use here, even full fat, has ¼ of those in regular mayo, plus 10 grams of protein to mayo’s 0 grams. Let’s not forget, a generous helping of gut friendly probiotics too. It’s a no brainer really.
- Chop the rosemary needles, garlic, and a generous pinch of salt finely until it becomes almost a paste. Put the paste in the bottom of a large bowl, and whisk it well with the yogurt, cider vinegar, honey, and a fresh grind of black pepper.
- Mix the lemon juice with two cups of water in a medium bowl.
- Cut the apples into a small dice and put into the lemon water to stop them browning as you cut. Drain and mix them into the dressing. Top with the celery, celery leaves, mache, and toasted hazelnuts. Toss to combine. Serve with grilled chicken.
- ½ sprig of rosemary, needles only
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt, to taste
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Pepper, to taste
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- 2 medium crunchy sweet apples, like Braeburn or Gala
- 6 celery ribs, diced, leaves reserved
- 2 handfuls of mache lettuce or arugula
- ⅓ cup toasted peeled hazelnuts, chopped
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Spoon for spoon, full fat Greek yogurt even beats the fat and calorie count of Lite mayo. If you want to cut down even more on the fat calories, use 2% or 0% Greek yogurt.