When I first came to live in the USA from France, land of Le Grand Fromage, I found the concept of cheese soups hard to wrap my head around. The cheese soups offered in the local delis and soup places didn’t help me get there either. I wasn’t convinced about them until I tasted this version, lovingly prepared by our recipe maven Mariko Makino. Light green, with a delicious subtle cheesiness, this soup swept away all my preconceptions. It is delicious, the perfect healthy comfort food.
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a medium pot. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the water or broth and bring to a boil. Add the broccoli and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until the broccoli is tender but still bright green.
3. Remove the soup from heat and puree. Heat the soup through over low heat, and stir in the grated cheese and mustard. Once the cheese has melted, taste for seasoning.
4. Serve with Croutons and a dusting of paprika.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large Yukon Gold potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 5 cups water or broth
- 1 (12-ounce) head of broccoli, cut into medium florets, stem peeled and diced
- ⅔ cup grated sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Paprika (optional)