Takeout Chinese food can be a great standby. But when time is of the essence, this delicious Chicken & Broccoli Stir Fry is an easy way not only to get your fix of that taste you crave, but a great way to get dinner onto the table in a hurry. And you won’t have to worry about MSG or adding too much sodium either.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey garlic, grated ginger, dried chili pepper, sesame oil, and lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, pour half the soy mixture over the chicken. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- In a wide sauté pan or wok, heat the tablespoon of canola oil over high heat. Pour in the marinated chicken, and cook for 5 minutes or until most of the marinade has evaporated and the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the broccoli florets and cook for 5 minutes until the broccoli is a bright green. Pour in the remaining soy mixture and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring until the sauce has reduced.
- Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds and chopped peanuts with Basic Brown Rice.
- 2 to 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper or 1 dried chili pepper, left whole
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 6 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into ½-inch wide strips
- 1 tablespoon canola or grapeseed oil
- 4 cups broccoli, florets
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons chopped peanuts (optional)
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you don’t own a wok, don’t despair, you can stir fry in a large frying pan or a sauté pan. If you find you like cooking this way, then a wok may be a good investment.