In North Africa, eggs are often baked on top of vegetable stews to make a more complete meal. This protein rich Chickpea, Tomato & Egg Bake dish is an extension of this tradition, and makes perfect, nourishing inexpensive meal.The beauty of it is, the chickpea base can be made ahead of time and baked as needed. Couldn’t be easier.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Saute onion and garlic until soft, about five minutes. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, mix chopped tomato and chickpeas. Add onions and season with salt and pepper.
4. On a sheet tray line 12, 3 inch ramekin dishes. Spoon the chickpea mixture evenly into all ramekin dishes, leaving a little room at the top of each. You can also use a lined muffin tin.
5. Crack an egg on top of each individual ramekin dish. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
6. Bake in oven for 18-20 minutes or until egg white springs back when touched.
7. If desired, sprinkle a little cheddar cheese on each dish prior to serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe: Dana Bloom, Drexel Food Lab
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you don’t want to make 12 portions, halve the recipe and bag & freeze the leftover chickpeas for another meal.
In winter, use cherry tomatoes for more flavor.
Try a sprinkle a little paprika on the egg before baking.
Be the first to leave a review.