Collard greens give this collard green cornbread a pretty marbled effect, and a ton of cancer fighting phytonutrients. It’s easy to eat your greens in this moist and chewy cornbread with some spicy chili, BBQ, or a bowl of warming soup. With sharp cheddar, this cornbread is deliciously stealthy way to get collard skeptics to eat this wonderfully nutritious green. It’s too good!
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place a rack in the middle of the oven.
2. Blend half of the corn kernels with 2 tablespoons of milk or water. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl whisk together the cornmeal, salt and baking soda. Add the remaining corn kernels, pureed corn, collard greens, jalapeño and oil. Mix until well blended, the batter will be very thick.
4. Put a 9-inch cast iron skillet or round baking pan into the oven with the 2 tablespoons of butter. Put into the oven for 3 minutes or until the butter has melted.
5. Remove from the oven and pour in the cornbread batter. Spread and flatten the top, then bake for 35 minutes or until the cornbread pulls away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pan, cut into slices and serve. Store in the refrigerator.
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you like spice in your cornbread, add more jalapenos. If you prefer it milder, use less.
Be the first to leave a review.