This Collard & Sweet Potato Pie is really a kind of frittata that puts two of our favorite veggies, collard greens and sweet potatoes, together into one delicious dish. Nutrient-rich collard are tossed with sweet sautéed shallots and garlic and layered with cooked sweet potato and cheese. The whole thing is bound together with beaten eggs. It couldn’t be more delicious.
1. Place the potatoes whole, skin-on in a medium pot and cover with cold water. Bring a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cooking for 10 to 15 minutes, depending on size, until the potatoes are tender but not falling apart. Drain. Once cool enough, peel and cut into ½-inch slices.
2. In a wide oven-proof or cast iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat and add the shallots and garlic. Cook until the shallots have softened and beginning to turn golden. Add the collards, salt, and paprika, and cook stirring, until wilted. Tip into a colander, and let drain a few minutes. Wipe the skillet clean. Set aside.
3. While the collards are draining, whisk the eggs with salt and pepper
4. In the same skillet, coat with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Layer half the potatoes evenly on the bottom of the pan, then top with half of the collards and half the cheese. Pour half the egg mixture over. Repeat, layering the remaining potatoes and collards on top, then pour over the remaining eggs and finish with the cheese.
5. Turn the heat to medium, and cook until the eggs are set around the edges. Finish under a broiler for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the eggs are completely set and golden. Let the pie sit for 3 minutes then turn out onto a plate and serve in wedges.
Ann’s Tips and Tricks
For speed, you can use frozen cut collard greens.
Be the first to leave a review.