This cooked Corn & Tomato Salad is a summery salad that’s easily made when the BBQ is fired up. It brings together three summer favorites: corn, tomatoes, and basil. It is deeply tasty and simply excellent.
1. Preheat the broiler.
2. In a small bowl mix together the olive oil, salt and pepper. Brush the corn with the seasoned olive oil and transfer to a baking tray. Toss the tomatoes with the remaining olive oil. Pour onto the baking try with the corn, cut side up.
3. Put into the broiler, turning the corn occasionally, for about 7 to 10 minutes or until the corn is browned and the tomatoes have broken down.
4. Meanwhile, in a large bowl mix the shallots and vinegar and a pinch of salt.
5. Add the tomatoes straight from the broiler to the shallot and vinegar mixture. Mix well. Once the corn is cool enough to handle, cut the kernels from the cob. Toss with the tomatoes, then add the torn basil. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 ears of fresh corn, husked
- 1½ cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ small shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, torn
Ann's Tips and Tricks
In the winter look to frozen corn. Toss a pack of frozen kernels in a little olive oil and dry roast them until they turn golden. Don’t thaw them out – cook them from frozen.