Tart dried cranberries are a great addition to this classic Cranberry Apple Pie.
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Peel and core the apples and cut them into chunks. Toss with the dried cranberries and brown sugar. Set aside.
3. Flour a clean countertop and roll out the larger ball of dough to fit the pie plate with a little overhang. Slip the pastry disc onto the pie plate and press into the bottom of the plate to fit. Fill with the apple cranberry mixture. Dot with the cloves, if using.
4. Roll out the second ball just big enough to cover the fruit. Brush the edges of the lower pie crust with milk or water and lay the disk on top. Pinch the edges together to seal the pie. Trim off any excess pastry and make two slits in the top of the pie to let the steam escape. Brush the pie with milk or beaten egg to give it a slight golden glaze. Bake 35-40 minutes until the pastry is golden and crisp. Eat warm or at room temperature.
- 1½ pounds variety of apples (Granny Smith for a tart pie, Golden Delicious for a sweeter one)
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, or to taste
- 1 Basic Double-Crust Pie Dough
- 4 cloves (optional)
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Eat all sweet, sugary treats in moderation. A little bit of what you like does you good, but don’t overdo it!