When I first came to live in the US, I was always surprised to see perfectly can-shaped cranberry sauce sitting on a plate at Thanksgiving. Homemade cranberry sauce is so easy to whip up and so delicious to eat. In this recipe apples are used as a natural sweetener, while orange zest, ginger, and nutmeg round it out for the perfect holiday sauce. Once you’ve tried this Cranberry Apple Sauce, you’ll never eat can shaped sauce again.
1. In a medium saucepan cook the cranberries, chopped apples, apple juice, orange zest, and ginger over medium heat for about 5 to 7 minutes.
2. Once the cranberries start to pop, stir in the honey and nutmeg. Stir occasionally until the sauce begins to thicken, about 15 minutes.
3. Remove from heat. Chill until ready to serve.
Take a look at our Thanksgiving Menu for more holiday recipes!
- 2 (12 ounce) bags of fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3 cups peeled and chopped Golden Delicious apples, about 3 medium
- 3 cups 100% apple juice
- 3 tablespoons orange zest
- 3 teaspoons freshly ground ginger
- 3 tablespoon honey, or to taste
- 1½ teaspoons freshly ground nutmeg
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Since the apples here are used to sweeten the sauce instead of sugar, use a sweet apple like Golden Delicious, Fuji or Gala. Avoid tarter varieties like Granny Smiths or Braeburns.