Our cranberry orange ice cream is the perfect way to ease yourself from summer to fall, or a nice refreshing treat either after a nice cozy autumn meal, or a delicious way to use up leftover cranberry sauce. With the help of an ice cream machine homemade ice cream can be easy and gives you the power to experiment with flavors. Cranberry orange ice cream can be a light, chilled antidote to heavier Holiday foods, and a fun idea for an unexpected Thanksgiving dessert alongside a warm slice of pie.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine half and half, milk, ¼ cup sugar, salt and orange zest. Bring just to a boil, turn off heat and cover for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together egg yolks and remaining ¼ cup of sugar in a separate bowl.
- Slowly pour hot milk into egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Pour everything back into saucepan and simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly to keep bottom from burning. Cook until mixture has thickened enough to cover the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Stir cranberry sauce into the ice cream base.
- Churn according to machine instructions.
- 1½ cups half and half
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup sugar, divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 orange, zested
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 cups homemade cranberry sauce