Few things are more refreshing or prettier in the summer than this light crunchy salad. The pale green of the cucumber mixed with the pink edges of the bright, white radish slices of this Cucumber & Radish Salad make it something you can eat with your eyes too. It’s the perfect side to perk up Poached Salmon, or to add some cool crunch as an antidote to one of our spicier dishes.
- In a medium bowl mix together the vinegar and onions. Let sit for 1 hour.
- Cut the cucumber into quarters lengthwise and remove the seeds. Then cut them into ¼-inch thick slices. Sprinkle the cucumber with salt and add to the onions. Mix in the radish slices and the chopped mint. Chill for 30 minutes, then serve.
- 1 medium shallot or ½ red onion, sliced very thin
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 English cucumber, peeled
- 6 radishes, washed and thinly sliced
- Salt, to taste
Ann's Tips and Tricks
You can keep the onions in a jar under vinegar for up to 3 months in the fridge. They will turn a pretty pale pink and are a terrific garnish for all kinds of salad veggies, from avocados to cabbage to potatoes.