This somewhat untraditional pumpkin pie tastes absolutely fabulous. It is dairy-free and bursting with healthy ingredients. So why is the word ‘Healthier’ in parentheses? Because however healthy the ingredients are, put together they add up to a very rich, high-calorie dessert, so it’s best not to overindulge. Enjoy!
1. Process the pecans in a food processor until coarsely ground. Add the maple syrup, coconut oil, whole wheat pastry flour, and salt. Pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal, and is well combined.
2. Using hands, press the dough into a 9-inch pie plate. Cover and let chill for 1 hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
4. In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, salt, cornstarch, cinnamon, cloves, fresh ginger, pumpkin puree and coconut milk. Stir to mix well. Gently stir in the eggs.
5. Pour into the prepared pie crust. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the crust is well browned and the filling has set. Let cool slightly and serve warm or at room temperature.
Ann’s Tips and Tricks
To liquefy the coconut oil, simply stand the jar in a bowl of hot water until it has melted.
Eat all sweet, sugary treats in moderation. A little bit of sweetness can make you feel good, but don’t overdo it! High calorie desserts are best as an occasional treat, never a habit.
Be the first to leave a review.