Pack on the holiday spirit, not the holiday pounds with this seriously delicious, lower fat eggnog. For those of us who like to indulge in this holiday tradition, this alcohol free drink will let you do so with a little less worry for your health. You won’t notice the difference, but your body will.
1. In a medium sized saucepan, combine 1 ½ cups skim milk and lemon zest. Bring to a simmer.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolk, vanilla, sugar and corn starch.
3. Gradually pour the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture.
4. Return the mixture to the pan and heat over medium heat while stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the eggnog thickens. (About 5-8 minutes).
5. Take the saucepan off of the burner and immediately pour in remaining skim milk.
6. Chill, in the refrigerator.
7. Once chilled, strain the eggnog through a sieve. Serve sprinkled with a little cinnamon or a grate of fresh nutmeg.
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you don’t have skim milk, 2% or even whole will still have fewer calories than the traditional recipe which calls for a mix of milk and heavy cream. And if you miss the tang of liquor, try sweetening with half light amber maple syrup and half sugar.
Be the first to leave a review.