I love good fried chicken but eat it rarely as it’s really too fatty to be anything more than a treat. This recipe sets me free. This delicious oven baked chicken has great taste thanks to a good spritzing of some good olive oil, and a crisping blast of heat to start the baking. I encourage you to give this true treat a try. You won’t be sorry.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium sized bowl mix together buttermilk, 1 tablespoon paprika, 2 teaspoons cayenne, 1 tablespoon garlic powder and 1 tablespoon of salt.
3. Add chicken to the buttermilk mixture. Mix to make sure the buttermilk is coating all of the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
4. In a casserole dish mix together whole wheat flour, 1 tablespoon paprika, 2 teaspoons cayenne, 1 tablespoon garlic powder and 1 tablespoon of salt.
5. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk, draining any excess. Coat the chicken with the whole wheat flour, making sure the chicken is completely covered.
6. Place on a wire rack on top of a baking sheet. Spray the rack with cooking spray thoroughly. Put the chicken on the rack and generously drizzle with the olive oil.
7. Bake the chicken for 15 minutes at 400F then turn the oven down to 300F and bake it for another 10 minutes. Remove and serve.
Ann's Tips and Tricks
I never seem to have buttermilk when I need it, but as long as I have a lemon and some milk, I’m golden! Using a little acid such as lemon or cream of Tartar to lightly sour the milk helps add lightness to batters, whether for fried chicken or pancakes.
To make buttermilk substitute:
Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice or ½ teaspoon of cream of tartar to a cup of plain milk.
Stir to mix and let it sit 5 minutes.
Be the first to leave a review.