This is a modern spin on a classic dish. With lentils, green beans, and herbs like thyme and rosemary, this Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie recipe not only provides the hearty meal you look for in a shepherd’s pie, but also has the greens that are so important to eat on a daily basis. It’s healthy dish the whole family can enjoy!
2. In a large sauce pot, place the potatoes and cover with water. Bring pot to a soft boil and cover. Let cook for 20-30 minutes, or until potatoes are soft when poked with a knife or fork.
3. Drain the potatoes, reserving about 1 cup of the water. Mash the potatoes with a fork or pastry cutter, then add butter. Add the reserved water to achieve desired texture for mashed potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
4. While the potatoes are boiling, place the lentils, vegetable stock, thyme, and rosemary in another sauce pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer. Cook the lentils until tender and almost all the stock has been absorbed, about 30-40 minutes.
5. Add the celery, carrots, green beans, and corn to the lentils and cook all together for about ten minutes, or until the vegetables are soft. Season with salt and pepper.
6. In a lightly greased 9×9 baking dish, scoop in the lentil and vegetable mixture. Add the mashed potatoes on top and flatten.
7. Place in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until the mashed potatoes become lightly golden brown.
Emily Lloyd, Drexel Food Lab
Be the first to leave a review.