Many vegan dishes are faulted for being unfulfilling, usually by those who follow a more traditional diet. Not this one. This deliciously hearty sweet potato chickpea bowl is packed with protein and will leave you beyond satisfied. The combo of sweet potatoes, spicy roasted chickpeas and nutty tasting farro all drizzled with a rich, citrusy tahini sauce, provides a variety of tastes and textures that’s perfect for any time of year. Although we love the sweetness of roasted red onions here, you can add any roasted vegetables you like to give this dish your own special veggie spin!
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Coat the red onion and sweet potatoes with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast the vegetables in the oven for about twenty minutes, or until fork tender. Then, remove them from oven and cool to room temperature.
3. While the vegetables are roasting, toss the chickpeas, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, turmeric and salt and pepper in a medium-sized bowl.
4. Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and the chickpea mixture. Cook the chickpeas until they are brown and fragrant, stirring frequently, about 8-10 minutes. Set aside. (See Ann’s Tips)
5. To make the tahini sauce, stir together the tahini, maple syrup and lemon juice. If the mixture is too thick to pour easily (molasses like), add a tablespoon of water and stir. Repeat this process until you have a pourable mixture.
6. Once the three components are finished, the roasted vegetables, chickpeas and tahini, put the spinach in a layer at the bottom of a medium sized bowl. Then put the farro (or rice) on top. Follow this with the vegetables and chickpeas. Pour the tahini sauce on top.
Julianne Scott, Drexel Food Lab
Be the first to leave a review.